1 lb (450 gm) parwal, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (small ones cut crosswise into only two pieces)
½ lb (225 gm) potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin seeds, plus ½ tsp powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp chili (cayenne) powder
1 bay leaf
½ tsp ginger paste
¼ tsp garam masala powder, dry-roasted
Salt, to taste
½ cup water
½ cup mustard oil
- In a kadahi, or wok, fry parwal and potatoes, until light brown (no need to crisp) in mustard oil.
- Drain and remove, setting aside and leaving only 2 tbsp of oil.
- On medium heat, sauté cumin seeds, bay leaf, and ginger paste for a minute or so.
- Add coriander and cumin powder, turmeric, and, chili powder, sautéing for another minute.
- Add water, return parwal and potatoes to kadhai, and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle garam masala power.
- Serve with steamed rice, roti, or paratha.