Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Watermelon sherbet a gift of summer

Last week I made a promise to you. This post is the fulfillment of it. I am going to share with you the recipe of a sherbet my mother made when I was growing up in India’s heartland, a region of unrelenting summers. This sherbet is made best with a watermelon that is dark red inside. The watermelons I pick in Mumbai – these have never disappointed me – are light green, with dark green stripes. These are unspeakably red and luscious inside, with small, sparse seeds.

Ingredients
½ of a small (3 lb) watermelon
3 tbsp castor (superfine) sugar
1 lemon or lime
3 cups water
A few mint leaves for garnish
Ice cubes

Method

  1. Cut watermelon into wedges.
  2. Grate them roughly over a flat grater placed over a large bowl (choose a size just large enough for the grater to rest on the edge of the bowl) to catch the juice and pulp, discarding the seeds from the top with a fork.
  3. Stir in the sugar and water.
  4. Squeeze a slice of lemon or lime and stir.
  5. Put ice cubes in tall glasses and pour the sherbet. Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime, or mint leaves.

Makes four glasses.

5 comments:

Masala Country said...

Hi Angshuman, I'm a TV journalist and am putting together a story about the popularity of food blogs in India. Can you please let me know the best way to contact you? I can be contacted on 9930988776
Cheers Sonia

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM! YUM!.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Angshuman said...

Hi Vincent:

Thanks for your compliment. I tried adding my blog to your portal, but didn't get confirmation.

Angshuman

jim said...

Hello Angshuman, I enjoy reading your blog. Watermelon is also delicious cut in cubes with feta cheese, sliced red onion, and a light dressing made with balsamic vinegar. I also have a blog. It is about Italian wine. www.theitaliancellar.blogspot.com

Angshuman said...

Hi Jim:

Thanks. I too visited your blog. I read a post with interest -- I am a wine lover as well. I will try to browse your blog further during leisure.

Angshuman